Our Scout Group
Check out Information of each section on the right →
Group History – Douglas Scouts
In November 1951, Rev. William Dineen who was then chaplain at Colaiste Mhuire, Douglas, and an assistant curate in the Parish, attended a meeting of the Diocesan Scout Council, accompanied by Mr Brendan Larkin (Snr.) and they requested the establishment of a troop. Mr. Walter McGrath had been elected Diocesan Commissioner the same night, and he was appointed the first Scoutmaster of the troop, acting in the capacity until the following summer when Mr. Bill Murphy succeeded him.
Group History – St. FinBarres Scouts
St. FinBarres Scout Group was founded in April 1930 to provide Scouting activities for the boys in the Choir of St. FinBarres Cathedral. The Cub Pack was added in 1931, Venture Scouts in 1968 and Beavers in 1978. The Group has always maintained the link with St. FinBarres Cathedral. The Group had used St. FinBarres Hall in Dean Street as its main base for most of its years of operation.
Group History – Douglas & St. FinBarres Scout Group
In early 2013 the 2nd Cork St. FinBarres Cathedral Scout Group moved from their hall in Dean Street to the John Slye Scout Hall in Douglas. The reason for the move was a lack of potential members in the Dean Street area, while Douglas Scout Group has a long waiting list. Following several months of discussion between a committee of council members from both groups, an agreement to merge the 2nd Cork St. FinBarres Cathedral and the 6th/47th Cork Douglas Scout Groups was reached.
While all three section numbers (2nd, 6th and 47th) were maintained the new group was known as ‘The Douglas and St. FinBarres Scout Group’. The new group opened in August 2013 with 3 Beaver Colonies, 3 Cub Packs, 3 Scout Troops, a Venture Unit and a Rover Crew active in Douglas.
The 93rd Cork was added to the Group in October 2015 due to continued demand for membership in the Douglas area.
TheGroup has 4 Beaver Colonies, 4 Cub Packs, 3 Scout Troops, a Venture Unit and a Rover Crew active in Douglas
The function of the Group Council is to ensure that the mission of Scouting is being implemented throughout the Scout Group using the progressive programmes as developed by the National Youth Programme Committee. In other words, the Group Council is responsible for the administration and support of Scouting in the Scout Group. The Group Council administers the Group and makes decisions on the direction the Group will take etc.
The 2nd/6th/47th/93rd Cork (Douglas & St. FinBarres) Group Council is made up of:
- Joint Chairpersons: Don Trotter & Enda Downey
- Group Leader: Conor Crowley
- Deputy Group Leader: Eoin Field
- Group Secretary: Tim Calvert
- Group Treasurer: Ger Hodkinson
- Group Quartermasters: Eoghan Healy, Kevin O’Connor & Mark Slattery
- Group Programme Coordinators: Claire Nichols & Nick Swanton
- Chairperson of the Parents & Friends Committee: Stephen Granleese
Other members that make up the Group Council:
- Patricia Barber
- Evan Causer
- John Cleary
- Darran Crowley
- Billy Desmond
- Eoin Field
- Stephen Granleese
- Siobhan Hodkinson
- David Kinnear
- David Kinnear Jr
- Debroah Long
- Peter McCarthy
- Janette Murphy
- Declan O’Shea
- Mary Scriven
- Richard Scriven
- Gavin Shanahan
- Niamh Stockil
- Cian Swanton
- Vickie Swanton
- Wendy Swanton
- Alex Treacy
How to find us
John Slye Scout Hall
Eircode: T12 AE22
Loc8 Code: WBQ-07-ZB9
GPS: 51°52’27.4″N 8°26’08.6″W (51.874278, -8.435722)
Irish Grid Reference: W 70044 69171
Click here to get directions to the hall.